I got this recipe while watching Magnolia Table and decided to make it, with a few of my own tweaks, for my friends who were coming down to play mahjongg last night …. perfect pre Cinco-de-Mayo meal. I love entertaining and, since my old neighbors make the trek down here to play mahj, I always make dinner for them. I think one of the things I missed most during the pandemic was entertaining and cooking for a group of friends. Here you go ….
Sour Cream Chicken Enchiladas
- Cooking spray
- 2 (10 oz) cans mild green enchilada sauce
- 1 (10 oz) can condensed cream of chicken soup
- 1 (8oz) container sour cream
- All the shredded meat from a store bought rotisserie chicken (about 4 cups)
- 1 (4oz) can diced green chiles
- 1 (14oz) bag of grated cheddar or Mexican blend cheese. I used both. (Joanna uses mozzarella)
- 10 (8 inch) soft whole wheat flour tortillas
- 1 tomato, chopped
- ½ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- cotija cheese crumbles (optional…not in Joanna’s recipe)
Preheat oven to 350 and coat a 9×13 deep baking dish with cooking spray.
Whisk together the enchilada sauce, soup and sour cream. spread 1/2 cup in the baking dish. I just spread some on the bottom of the dish … no measuring!
Combine the chicken and chiles (including the liquid)
Sprinkle about 2 heaping TBS cheese on a tortilla, add about 1/3 cup of the chicken/chile mixture. Tightly roll it up and put seam side down in the baking dish. Continue with the rest of the tortillas, really nesting them against each other.
Pour the reserved enchilada sauce over the filled tortillas. Bake for 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and sprinkle with remaining cheddar or Mexican cheese on top. Bake until cheese is melted about 15 minutes, or pop it under the broiler to get it a little browner.
I put the tomato, cilantro, lime and cotija in separate bowls on the side so people can add to their dish if they like it. Not everyone does.
I served it with chips and homemade salsa, a boxed Mexican rice (super easy) and a Mexican Caesar salad … just romaine, pepitas, cotija and store bought El Torito cilantro pepita caesar dressing.
You cannot direct the wind, but you can adjust the sails!